Intellectual Property Management
Collecting and protecting Intellectual Property is not an afterthought, it is the foundation of MindMatters’ innovation Methodology.
Your intellectual property process is critical to maintaining your competitive position. The MindMatters Technologies’ INNOVATOR™ Enterprise Management System can manage and supercharge this process with an easy-to-use solution that facilitates faster throughput and accountability for your inventors, patent review team members, and legal staff.
The Inventors are the drivers for your process. Help drive participation by as much as 92% by giving them the tools they need to simplify their work, such as:
- A specifically designed Inventors Portal for easy progress monitoring and tracking of their inventions
- Customized Invention Disclosure Forms for consistency
- Auto alerts to insure all fields are completed before review and witnessing
- Draft or Private Save Options to make the submission process quicker
- Advanced searching capabilities and Duplicate Checking to make research easier
- Task Management, for keeping the process on track
- Rewards easily tracked
The Patent Review Team is the heart of your Intellectual Property decision process. Tap their expertise to improve pipeline quality and increase review throughput up to 67%, with key features such as:
- A Flexible IP Process Workflow Engine that allows nearly any patent review process to be duplicated, whether it is hierarchical, linear or a combination,
- Rules that can Automatically Prioritize Inventions to speed the review process,
- Tasks and Due dates to manage the review process for high priority disclosures,
- A Patent Review Dashboard that contains real-time information on tasks, comments, analysis results, and related attachments,
- The ability to Engage Experts for a more diverse sampling, and
- Collaboration and Communication between inventors, review committee members, the IP Department, outside counsel, and other groups, all controlled with the highest level of security.
The Legal Department is ultimately responsible for the entire invention process. Our Intellectual Property Portal gives you a bird’s eye view over the entire system including features such as:
- Advanced IP management tools that allow the creation of Family/Docket Relationships between inventions, patents, agreements, NDA’s, and ideas,
- system tracking for every change made to the invention disclosure to provide an Accurate Audit Trail,
- A Snapshot feature that freezes invention disclosures at any point in time to make a permanent record of the document,
- Advanced reporting and Portfolio Management reports that deliver critical information you need when you need it,
- and Interfaces to patent docketing systems.
Contract and License Management
Can you easily identify the IP that is connected to your contracts and licensing agreements? Do you know which patents, inventions, concepts and ideas that make up the IP that is part of your contracts and licensing agreements?
Now you can link your IP with the myriad of contracts, agreements, licenses, and ventures governing its use. For each type of contract or license, you can record pertinent information such as involved parties, execution date, expiration, organization-specific customized data, as well as, the “family” of intellectual property that is connected to the license agreement.
The Contract and Licensing Portal automatically routes your contract and license requests through your own workflow process for approval with assigned tasks, deadline reminders, and preset management alarms to avoid delays.
Key Features Include:
- The Contract and Licensing Portal offers efficiency as well as security to your contract and licensing process. It provides a convenient and organized centralized repository for all contract and licence agreements and their associated intellectual property. Look ups are fast and easy and there is never a question as to what intellectual property is part of the agreements.
- Contract and License review and approval is easy with the Contract and Licensing Portal’s automated workflow process. Customized workflows based on the type of license agreement, with automated tasks, reminders and deadline alerts.
- The system provides a complete documentation and audit trail so you can see where the agreement has been and who has made changes.
- Collaboration between all parties involved is fast and efficient using the systems commenting, task, and e-mail features.
- Reminders can be set for all important dates and scheduled events such as renewals, etc…
- Advanced security features govern the departments, locations, and individuals that have access to agreements. The legal department may have access to all agreements while other departments and individuals may have access to only the agreements to which they are involved.
Products must be marked as patented in order to be awarded damages resulting from infringement of the patent.
The INNOVATOR Enterprise enables you to quickly implement web-based patent marking. We allow you to easily manage the product-to-patent relationship so that new patents are automatically added to product descriptions and barcodes–even in complex parent-child linkages. This automation provides for nearly instant updates to your existing products and puts you in a defensible position. Combine our patent marking with labeling systems to add even more protection to your patented products.
Advanced Security & Protection
The documentation and security of an organization’s intangible assets is vital to reducing the risks to its intellectual property, including the loss of valuable innovations through inadvertent disclosure, employee departures, illegal publication, and even misappropriation by competitors.
The INNOVATOR Enterprise has an extensive capability to protect and manage all of your organization’s intellectual assets, such as inventions and patents, as well as, trademarks, trade secrets, licenses, agreements, products, and competitive intelligence.
The system’s unique asset tracking allows the supervision of information down to the audit level so that you can watch for irregularities and possible security issues.
With automatic snapshots, built-in notarization, and state-of-the art security models, your assets will be fully protected across users, teams, departments, business units, and geographies.
Moreover, this capability extends into the user interface as well, helping to train users on what assets are considered valuable and how they should be protected—a key element in any IP strategy.
Key Features Include:
- The Snapshot feature allows users to take a “snapshot” or picture of the intellectual property at any point in time to make a permanent record of the document as of the snapshot date. The system can be programmed to automatically take Snapshots at pre-programmed times or events.
- The built-in Notarization feature makes notarizing documents fast and easy, while providing the required proof of notarization.
- Advanced security features govern the departments, locations, and individuals that have access to various types of intellectual assets. The legal department may have access to all intellectual assets while other departments and individuals may have access to only the intellectual property to which they are involved.
Many of our clients create and disseminate technology information, either as an adjunct to their regular business, or as a significant end product itself. Many kinds of technology (so-called ‘dual use’ or commercial technology with possible military applications) are actually subject to significant U.S. government restrictions on ‘export’ to foreign nationals, and even to certain U.S. companies who engage in certain kinds of research and production.
Compliance with US export restrictions via export licensing is mandatory, but with features of Innovator, in conjunction with guidance from the appropriate U.S. government agencies, such compliance need not be especially troublesome. The Innovator provides a variety of ways to address export requirements.
For more information, request our free whitepaper on Using the Innovator to Track and Comply with 15 C.F.R. §730-774 and Restrictions on the ‘Export’ of U.S. Technology.
IP Family Management
The INNOVATOR Enterprise has an extensive capability to manage the linkages between ideas, inventions, patents, products, and contracts with Innovator’s family management features. Prepare detailed information packages for review teams, outside/inside counsel, and other departments containing the complete history/docket of your intellectual property.
Key Features Include:
- Automatically create and manage linkages between all types of intellectual property. Complete hierarchy can be maintained.
- Patent-pending Duplication Checker uses artificial intelligence to find duplicate/similar intellectual property for proper inclusion in filings.
- Generation of PDF packages for review teams and counsel. PDFs automatically open/display all included attachments for easy viewing and review.
- Folder management allows for the creation of user-specified categories for maintenance, such as creating a folder of inventions requiring assignments by the inventors.
It’s only after a trade secret dispute or suspected misappropriation that companies realize that they should have been more proactive in safeguarding key trade secrets in the first place.
Considering that the risk of a single dispute may cost $500,000 in legal fees alone — not to mention the toll on key management, potential damages, and even total loss of the trade secret itself — it’s not difficult to appreciate the destructive potential of even a single incident. Two of the factors for evaluating whether information is protected as a trade secret:
- The extent of measures taken by a company to guard the secrecy of the information – the greater the security of the system guarding the information, the better the trade secret protection.
- The amount of time, effort, and money expended by the company in developing the information – the more documentation collected and stored by the system, the better the trade secret protection.
The robust security model built into the INNOVATOR Enterprise provides the proper protection level of your company’s intellectual property and the assignment of privileges for viewing, editing, forwarding and analyzing innovations and trade secrets. Our security models safeguard your trade secrets and intellectual property and reduce your risks of loss. The INNOVATOR Enterprise Solutions were designed to collect and store the vital trade secret information continuously throughout the innovation and development process, thus reducing the risk to your trade secrets by documenting the time, effort and money expended by your company.
Free ResearchTake advantage of our Free White Papers, Best Practices and Innovation Research Studies.
John Stowell, Director of Innovation, Zep Inc.
"StageTrak is very customizable to your needs. Once it's up and running it's pretty intuitive. It's much simpler to operate than most of its competitors."
"Flagpole offers novel social marketing techniques to partner and collaborate with the National Poison Control Center community."
Tom Mauss, Chief Executive Officer
"We were impressed with MindMatters’ entire Step by Step Innovation process. They helped us identify areas where we might fail, and successfully navigated around those obstacles."
Gregg Edwards, Chief People Officer
"Allows us to not only capitalize on the brilliance of our employees, but also to collaborate on organizational issues in a much more engaging, satisfying way."
Director of R&D
"The MindMatters software has really worked out for our team. It has enabled us to develop a process that effectively mines the innovative thoughts of R&D. Our invention disclosure count is through the roof compared to pre-MindMatters numbers."
In 2002, 8,254 civil cases related to intellectual property theft were filed in U.S. courts.
U.S. Department of Justice
The fastest-growing U.S. companies tend to foster innovation.
Harnessing Innovation, PriceWaterhouse Coopers
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
All told, 69 percent of the executives who participated ranked innovation as one of their company’s top-three strategic priorities.
Boston Consulting Group Survey
Intellect and innovation are the sources of virtually all economic value, growth, and strategic edge today.
James Brian Quinn, Professor of Management, Dartmouth College
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Dr. Alan Kay, Disney Imagineering
One of the cornerstones of successful innovation is the use of Timed Challenges™, a concept originated by MindMatters Technologies that helps guarantee innovation results. Timed Challenges combine the best of business processes and psychology to insure that your organization can rapidly tap the latent intellectual knowledge of your workforce. The Timed Challenge uses: Focused […]read more